- This topic is empty.
November 6, 2020 at 5:30 am #6366Alyssa JulianGuest
(Last Hundred Years: A Family Saga, #1)
by Jane Smiley
- Genres: fiction, historical, family, contemporary, novels, adult
- Series: Last Hundred Years: A Family Saga, #1
- Language: english
- Places: Denby, Iowa, Iowa
- ISBN: 9780307700315 (0307700313)
- Release date: October 7, 2014
- Awards: National Book Award Nominee for Fiction (2014), Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Historical Fiction (2014), International Dublin Literary Award Nominee (2016)
- Author: Jane Smiley
- Format: hardcover, 395 pages
- Publisher: Knopf Publishing Group
About The Book
On their farm in Denby, Iowa, Rosanna and Walter Langdon abide by time-honored values that they pass on to their five wildly different yet equally remarkable children: Frank, the brilliant, stubborn first-born; Joe, whose love of animals makes him the natural heir to his family’s land; Lillian, an angelic child who enters a fairy-tale marriage with a man only she will fully know; Henry, the bookworm who’s not afraid to be different; and Claire, who earns the highest place in her father’s heart. Moving from post-World War I America through the early 1950s, Some Luck gives us an intimate look at this family’s triumphs and tragedies, zooming in on the realities of farm life, while casting-as the children grow up and scatter to New York, California, and everywhere in between-a panoramic eye on the monumental changes that marked the first half of the twentieth century. Rich with humor and wisdom, twists and surprises, Some Luck takes us through deeply emotional cycles of births and deaths, passions, and betrayals, displaying Smiley’s dazzling virtuosity, compassion, and understanding of human nature and the nature of history, never discounting the role of fate and chance. This potent conjuring of many lives across generations is a stunning tour de force.
FictionBook ebook Some Luck Jane Smiley read on PocketBook on Amazon. Hardback book Some Luck buy cheap. PDF Some Luck by Jane Smiley on Book Depository. TXT book Some Luck download for iPhone.